[vi-android] Re: Android 4.3. Update for recent Samsung phones

  • From: Quentin Christensen <quentin.christensen@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: vi-android@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 02 Nov 2013 20:05:29 +1100

Hi Michael / Chris / everyone,

Thanks for the prompt Chris, as I realised when I read it that I wasn't thinking when I wrote my reply which is incorrect!

My Galaxy Nexus is currently running 4.3. It's my Note II that's on 4.1.2 :)

Ok I had a quick search and came up with this:

http://android.stackexchange.com/questions/39745/why-i-do-not-receive-android-updates-for-samsung-galaxy-nexus-gt-i9250m

Which has a couple of different suggestions which might work for you.

I also found something a little sadder - the Galaxy Nexus won't be getting 4.4 or later: http://www.theverge.com/2013/10/31/5051958/google-galaxy-nexus-will-not-be-upgraded-android-4-4-kit-kat

Chris, to answer your question, the "Nexus" line of devices are designed to showcase Android's newest and best features. They tend to release a new Nexus phone with each new version of Android, and because the Nexus series have plain vanilla Android on them (not modified by even the hardware maker who made them), they do tend to be the first phones to get upgrades to new versions. Google, it seems has a policy of only supporting devices for 18 months and as the 9250 was released about two years ago now they are officially not supporting it.

Given that most carrier's contract term, at least in Australia, is two years, I would have though two years, or even 18 months would be fairer (after all, that would mean you could buy it a few months after it's released and still know you will get updates at least for the lift of your contract).... But Google didn't ask for my opinion :)

Michael, do let us know how you go trying to update your Galaxy Nexus and if any of those ideas work for you.

Regards
Quentin.

On 2/11/2013 7:44 PM, Chris H wrote:
I'm surprised by this as Samsung is one of the most popular makers of Android phones and tablets. Is it true that the Google Nexas always receives updates as and when they become available? If so surely Samsung ought to follow suit. Just my thoughts.

E-mail Facebook and iMessage
christopherh40@xxxxxxxxx

On 02/11/2013 02:37, michael's mail boxl wrote:
Hi Quentin I bet the update for my Samsung Galaxy Nexus gt9250 will never
come I check every day I doubt they will I am stuck at 4.1.2.
Cheers Michael.