[Umpqua Birds] Re: Vaux's Swifts babies

  • From: Matthew G Hunter <matthewghunter@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: UmpquaBirdList <umpquabirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 30 Jun 2015 19:21:43 -0700

Toni, what did you mean baby time is done at your place? Do you mean you
have seen a bunch and now they have all left?

Stacy, ... you have a LOT of species, ... do you really mean you've seen
fledglings from all of them, or just the "main" ones up there?

Regarding Black-headed Grosbeaks, I have not gotten a good visual of a
young one yet, but I have been hearing them. The young have a call that
probably most everyone in central Douglas County has been hearing if you've
been outside near woods much recently. It is a call that has a cadence
something like how we would pronounce "surreal," or "vireo" with an
emphasis (and higher pitch) on the central syllable. It is a fairly clear
call, with a slight buzzy or hoarse quality, but not strongly so, just a
little bit dry. Here are a couple mediocre recordings of the call from
xeno-canto.org:

http://www.xeno-canto.org/147923
http://www.xeno-canto.org/158988

Pam, don't give up hope on the tanagers in the cherry tree, they may yet
show up....

Fledged young observed at our place so far:
Black-headed Grosbeak
Chipping Sparrow
Dark-eyed Junco
American Robin
Black-capped Chickadee

I did see a couple tanagers following an adult male around, so I suspect
they were young....

How 'bout you?

Matt

On Tue, Jun 30, 2015 at 2:52 PM, Stacy Burleigh <stacymb13@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Toni mentioned that baby time is done at her place. I've seen fledglings
from all my species except for W. tanager and black headed grosbecks. Has
anybody already seen the young out and about of these 2 species?
Thanks,
Stacy
Melrose

*From:* Toni M <creekwood@xxxxxxxxxx>
*Date:* 6/28/2015 4:10:39 PM
*To:* dianawales@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
*Subject:* Re: [Umpqua Birds] Vaux's Swifts babies

Super! I've never seen Vaux babies. Baby time is over here at home, but I
was sad to see a young mother duck with brand new ducklings over at the
duck pond by Fred Meyer. The much older, bigger ducklings were picking on
them, so I put down some seed, greens, and whole wheat crumbs under the
shrubs where the mom had her little ones.