[Umpqua Birds] Re: Help with Gray vs. Dusky Flycatcher ID Please!

  • From: Matthew G Hunter <matthewghunter@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: James Billstine <billstinj@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 30 Jun 2015 19:10:58 -0700

That looks like a perfectly normal Gray Flycatcher tail pump to me:
down-up, down-up, down-up, hesitating, thinking, down-up, down-up, w/no
wing flicking. Long bill with small dark tip on pale lower mandible, pale
head and back, (in photo and one video wings/bars look somewhat "rich" and
contrasty I think because of fresh plumage and in the shade), long tail,
short primary projections. May 8 is latter end of normal time of west-side
Cascades occurrence of the species.

Unfortunately, Jimmy, you have passed the official listing statute of
limitations of one month, and the Gray Flycatcher tic will be put on raffle
for any birders attending the next birder's night. (ha ha)

Could you look through my photos and find me a couple extra county birds!

Nice belated find! :-)

Matt Hunter
Melrose

On Tue, Jun 30, 2015 at 9:41 AM, James Billstine <billstinj@xxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

I was going through some old videos and pics last night and I came across
a video that piqued my interest. It was taken in early May at Thorn
Prairie, which is about 20 miles west of Diamond Lake and the Cascade
Crest.

http://youtu.be/X8deduaVcZQ

http://youtu.be/1f12qnmnv3o

https://www.flickr.com/photos/130946385@N05/19303186331/in/dateposted-public/

What I know about this individual bird:

-It's flicking it's tail down, and there are a few deeper pumps, but not
what I would associate with what I THOUGHT was "diagnostic behavior" for a
Gray Flycatcher based on the description "tail reminiscent of phoebe."

-It has a long-ish tail and bill, but is it long enough for Gray?

-This bird was not calling while I observed it, but there were many other
dusky flycatchers around that were.

What I don't know about Gray Flycatchers and what others may learn from
this:

-How much of a tail "flick" or "bob" or "pump" or "wag" is diagnostic for
a Gray Flycatcher vs. what other empidonax flycatchers do.

-Should I have named this post: 50 Shades of Gray Flycatcher?

So many questions,

Jimmy

--
James Billstine