[Umpqua Birds] Help with Gray vs. Dusky Flycatcher ID Please!

  • From: James Billstine <billstinj@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "umpquabirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <umpquabirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 30 Jun 2015 09:41:39 -0700

I was going through some old videos and pics last night and I came across a
video that piqued my interest. It was taken in early May at Thorn Prairie,
which is about 20 miles west of Diamond Lake and the Cascade Crest.

http://youtu.be/X8deduaVcZQ

http://youtu.be/1f12qnmnv3o

https://www.flickr.com/photos/130946385@N05/19303186331/in/dateposted-public/

What I know about this individual bird:

-It's flicking it's tail down, and there are a few deeper pumps, but not
what I would associate with what I THOUGHT was "diagnostic behavior" for a
Gray Flycatcher based on the description "tail reminiscent of phoebe."

-It has a long-ish tail and bill, but is it long enough for Gray?

-This bird was not calling while I observed it, but there were many other
dusky flycatchers around that were.

What I don't know about Gray Flycatchers and what others may learn from
this:

-How much of a tail "flick" or "bob" or "pump" or "wag" is diagnostic for a
Gray Flycatcher vs. what other empidonax flycatchers do.

-Should I have named this post: 50 Shades of Gray Flycatcher?

So many questions,

Jimmy

--
James Billstine