Re: [tuning-math] A 5-limit, "geometric" temperament list

  • From: Herman Miller <hmiller@xxxxxx>
  • To: tuning-math@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 23 Jul 2002 22:56:46 -0400

On Tue, 23 Jul 2002 00:51:39 -0700, Carl Lumma <carl@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>>My short list of "best" / most useful 5-limit temperaments would go
>>something like this:
>>
>>meantone 81/80
>>augmented 128/125
>>diminished 648/625
>>Blackwood decatonic 256/243
>>porcupine 250/243
>>diaschismic 2048/2025
>>pelogic 135/128
>>MAGIC 3125/3072
>>schismic 32805/32768
>>kleismic 15625/15552
>>orwell 2109375/2097152
>
>Is that in order?  It's a lot like my list...

More or less. I actually would put porcupine and pelogic higher on the
list, since those are the two I've been playing with the most lately. A =
lot
of the goodness of porcupine is from its higher-limit approximations, but
it's also useful as just a 5-limit temperament. But generally speaking, I
think the higher ones on the list have more obvious potential for
interesting music compared to the lower ones (and all of them seem more
useful, from my limited experience with them, than the ones not included =
on
the list, but I need to play around with them more to give them a fair
comparison).

>augmented
>meantone
>diminished
>pelogic
>porcupine
>magic
>kleismic
>diaschismic
>quadrafourths
>schismic
>orwell
>miracle

Which one is quadrafourths, again?

with the subject line "info tuning-math".  Or visit the
website:  < //www.freelists.org/list/tuning-math > .