RE: harmonic entropy

  • From: Carl Lumma <carl@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: tuning-math@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 18 Jul 2002 16:01:29 -0700

>You haven't formalized your accusation.

True.  (BTW, I chose the term "accusation" only out of silliness.)

>Make it as formal as you can,

To start:

"The self-similar shape of Paul's dyadic harmonic entropy graphs
is reminiscent of the Stern-Brocot tree."

Further:

"The local minima shown on these graphs correspond to members of a
3-iteration Stern Brocot tree on 1/1 and 0/1, plus selected members
of further iterations (those reached by increasingly dropping the
right-hand side of the iterations)."

Finally:

"Members from the first 3 iterations are confined to their
iteration level by their harmonic entropy values.  Members from
further iterations begin to occupy the ranges of the first 3."

Maybe trivial, but I'm still interested in higher-order
generalizations of the Stern-Brocot tree.

-Carl

with the subject line "info tuning-math".  Or visit the
website:  < //www.freelists.org/list/tuning-math > .