[tuning-math] Re: geometric complexity

  • From: Gene W Smith <genewardsmith@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: tuning-math@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 20 Jul 2002 19:04:01 -0700

>What's your definition of complexity in general?

>Just about the same as yours, but . . .

What specifically?

>> Secondly, i don't see what there is about a Euclidean, as opposed to
>> triangular-taxicab, metric that is going to be reflective of how we
>> hear. In
>> fact, it would seem especially important at the 9-limit and above to
>> deviate
> from Euclid.

>>I was proposing using a Euclidean metric which did not give the same
size
>>to all prime numbers; prime p would have length ln(p), and if p and q
are
>>odd primes, with q>p, then
>>length p/q = length q/p = ln(q). This uniquely determines a Euclidean
>>metric.

>Right, but first of all, do we or don't we have octave equivalence?

We do; this is a metric on octave classes.

>Secondly, the metric (if you replace "prime" with "odd") is inconsistent
for
>intervals like 9/5, right? You can't form a Euclidean figure for the
9-limit
>pentad such that all the intervals obey this "odd" rule, can you?

It doesn't treat 9 quite like a prime, but I don't think it does badly.
In this case we have

L(7/5) = ln 7 = 1.946
L(9/5) = sqrt(2 ln(3)^2 + ln(5)^2) = 2.237
L(11/5) = ln(11) = 2.398

The value 2.237 instead of ln(9) = 2.197 doesn't seem that horrible to
me.

Access Your PC from Anywhere - Free Trial
http://us.click.yahoo.com/o5uw2C/0ncEAA/Ey.GAA/wHYolB/TM

with the subject line "info tuning-math".  Or visit the
website:  < //www.freelists.org/list/tuning-math > .