[torontocbm] Re: VICE throttled?

  • From: Jim Brain <brain@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: torontocbm@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 21 May 2009 19:58:29 -0500

Ian Colquhoun wrote:
On Thu, May 21, 2009 at 5:37 PM, Gil Winkler <kimmyland@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
No, actually I am talking about running it at 250fps, which is done through
the multiplication factor
option (200%, 100%, 50%, 20%, 10%, No limit, Custom) and also known as 'warp
mode'....which
brings it up to about 26MHz and almost to 55 when I deselect various
options.

Right....that is what I was talking about :)   I am using the PET 4032
emulator and TRYING to run it faster than
5500% (Considering that I have 4.2Ghz at my disposal, this would mean, after
accounting for the loss of speed
through compilation and emulation that there should be somewhere about a
100x-fold loss of speed.)   I am wondering
if the software deliberately throttles VICE to top-out at somewhere around
60MHz or is the emulator so badly written that
4,200Mhz will only translate to 30MHz on VICE?

I fail to understand your relation of VICE fps and Mhz of anything. I
have a feeling you don't entirely understand what you're asking and
neither do I.

I think he's thinking that a 4.2GHz machine should be able to run VICE at 4200% (4200 * 1Mhz) or more, and he's not seeing anything near that

I think 100x penalty is not bad for an emulator.

Jim

--
Jim Brain, Brain Innovations                                      (X)
brain@xxxxxxxxxx Dabbling in WWW, Embedded Systems, Old CBM computers, and Good Times! Home: http://www.jbrain.com