[tn-dragonflies] Re: Clubtail ID

  • From: Rconnorsphoto@xxxxxxx
  • To: tn-dragonflies@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 30 Apr 2010 10:04:28 EDT

Harold,
I don't think the club is wide enough for Coca, not sure of range but has
been seen in TN. I'm leaning toward Ashy on these. My main id point is the
shape of  cerci and epiproct, as indicated in your photos, not clearly but
I think I can make out shape. The tooth on the cerci is out toward the end,
not in the middle as for Lancet, and the epiproct (the lower appendage) is
hook-type, not straight in Lancet. Again, I'm going by Giff Beaton's
illustrations.
You may be right, but I don't trust the color as much for di help unless as
 bright and yellow as the one Ken C showed. I have a request in to Giff for
some  id pointers on these. He said he would do so when he gets back in
town (he is  indeed a nice guy).

Richard Connors
Nashville

In a message dated 4/29/2010 9:29:20 P.M. Central Daylight Time,
howellh2@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:

am  having a hard time deciding on the ID for these two clubtails.
They were  photographed three weeks apart, one on 6 April and the other on
27
April.

I have done a good bit of searching on the web, and I now  believe these
photos are of Lancet Clubtails, newly emergent teneral  stage.  I looked at
Lancet, Cypress, Cocoa, Ashy and Dusky  Clubtails.  We are definitely out of
range for Cypress and Dusky  Clubtails, so I did not look too hard at them.
The Cocoa was the first for  which I found a teneral photo.  These photos
more closely match the  Cocoa, but we are probably out of the range for the
Cocoa.  I have  found a teneral shot of a Lancet, but not of the Ashy.
After
comparing all my shots to the photos I could find, I finally decided  that
the thorax pattern more closely matched the Lancet, and the clincher  is the
extensive yellow on the sides of S9 and S10.  The Ashy does not  show this
yellow marking.  I did not get a good enough photo of the  cerci to use that
mark.

I would appreciate your  comments.

Harold Howell
Grainger County, TN