[tn-dragonflies] Clubtail ID

  • From: Harold Howell <howellh2@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "tn-dragonflies@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <tn-dragonflies@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 29 Apr 2010 22:26:37 -0400

I am having a hard time deciding on the ID for these two clubtails.
They were photographed three weeks apart, one on 6 April and the other on 27
April.

I have done a good bit of searching on the web, and I now believe these
photos are of Lancet Clubtails, newly emergent teneral stage.  I looked at
Lancet, Cypress, Cocoa, Ashy and Dusky Clubtails.  We are definitely out of
range for Cypress and Dusky Clubtails, so I did not look too hard at them.
The Cocoa was the first for which I found a teneral photo.  These photos
more closely match the Cocoa, but we are probably out of the range for the
Cocoa.  I have found a teneral shot of a Lancet, but not of the Ashy.  After
comparing all my shots to the photos I could find, I finally decided that
the thorax pattern more closely matched the Lancet, and the clincher is the
extensive yellow on the sides of S9 and S10.  The Ashy does not show this
yellow marking.  I did not get a good enough photo of the cerci to use that
mark.

I would appreciate your comments.

Harold Howell
Grainger County, TN