[TN-Bird] Re: TOS Archives and Collections

  • From: "Wallace Coffey" <jwcoffey@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 29 Apr 2003 22:55:42 -0400

Ron Hoff is the assistant curator of the TOS collections and should be able
to provide very helpful information.

Most, if not all, of Albert Ganier's skin collection of birds is at the LSU
Museum of Natural Science which may be visited online at
http://130.39.239.204/databases.html.  I have material which was donated to
Ganier's collection and the LSU curator has provided me a photograph of one
item and data on other materials as requested.  The LSU database lists 2,354
skins from Tennessee, included on 24 webpages.  You will not find the
specific collection data from each specimen label.

Many skins of Ganier's collection material in the LSU collection from
Tennessee is listed under the various species headings in John R. Robinson's
book,  "An Annotated Checklist of the Birds of Tennessee." by the
University of Tennessee Press, Knoxville.  He gives the LSU collection
number.

Some of Ganier's materials from Tennessee are listed under the various
species headings in  "Bird Study in Shady Valley, Tennesse, 1934-1999" by
.J. Wallace Wallace, and John L. Shumate, Jr. 1999.  Bristol Bird Club,
Bristol.  Citied materials also includes both Ganier's personal collection
reference numbers and the LSU collection numbers.

The following information with link is found on the TOS website under
publications:  "A collection of historic Tennessee Ornithological Society
Papers housed in the Special Collections Department, Hoskins Library, The
University of Tennessee, Knoxville. This collection includes two folders of
TOS papers and two notebooks.  Much of the collection is unpublished
material by Albert Ganier, one of the founders of the TOS."

When Ganier died, Ken Dubke of Chattanooga drove to Nashville and recoverd
many items from Ganier's "hobby house" which were in cans to be put out for
the trash.  He packed a car full and took them to his house.  I have a few
books and publications given to me by Ganier before his death.

I had some of those 3-ring binder materials from Amelia Laskey's collection.
She shipped them to me as a personal gift before she died.  These are not
TOS records but bird banding journals.  I believe I gave that material to
Rick Knight.

If my memory serves me correctly,  I think that Sandy Bivens showed me many,
many books from the Laskey private library which had been donted to the
Warner Park Nature Center in Nashville.  They were in the center library and
could not be checked out.  I think that is correct.
I do not know what happened to her personal papers and research material.  I
believe most of the long-time members of Nashville TOS know all about that.

Let's go birding...

Wallace Coffey
Bristol, TN