[TN-Bird] Soddy Mountain Hawk Watch

  • From: JimmWilkerson@xxxxxx
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 26 Sep 2003 02:23:58 EDT

Today was the best count of fall 2003 so far.  It didn't come close to our
all-time high daily count of over 1,700, (2002 season), but it sure was fun.

We had scattered Broad-wings all morning, with a little over 100 by 2:00pm,
but the best was yet to come!  We were treated to the biggest group of
Broad-wings we've ever seen at Soddy Mountain.  About 2:10 Jim Rowell spotted a
huge
mass of over 600 Broad-winged Hawks streaming across the sky over the lookout,
coming from due east and heading west.  This bunch was 25-30 hawks wide and it
stretched half way across the sky.  What an awesome sight as they formed up
into 2-3 massive, towering kettles above the western horizon before finally
gliding on!  It was definitely the highlight of the day.  This kettle of 603
was
followed 6 minutes later by another kettle of 18.  Seven minutes after that
another mass of birds was sighted streaking across the sky and we got a count
of
160 on that one.  Not bad, 781 hawks in less than 15 minutes!!!

 Totals for 9/25/03   Broad-winged Hawks -  915; Sharp-shinned Hawks - 2;
American Kestrel - 1.

I have an unofficial season total of  2663  Broad-winged Hawks.

Posted for Bill Haley by:
Jimmy Wilkerson
Hixson, TN.