[TN-Bird] Soddy Mountain Hawk Watch:

  • From: JimmWilkerson@xxxxxx
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 20 Sep 2003 19:22:21 EDT

Soddy Mountain Hawk Watch
Hamilton Co., TN.
near Chattanooga

Today, Saturday Sept. 20  we had our first ever MISSISSIPPI  KITE  fly over
at 4:02 pm.  The bird was first noticed flying toward us from the NNW and
flying in a SSE direction.  Our count compiler Billy Haley was the first to
spot
the bird and immediately called out falcon.  It was large enough to be a
Peregrine and really looked like one but something wasn't just right about its
wing
beat, he said.  As he watched he began to think perhaps the hurricane could
have blown in a shearwater.  When he looked up this species he knew the bill
wasn't right for what we saw.  A few seconds later after consulting "HAWKS IN
FLIGHT"  he read out loud the specifics on MISSISSIPPI KITE and we both felt he
had made a correct identification.

The season totals are:              BW :  Mon 9/15   200
OS - 5                                              Tues 9/16  265
BE - 3  Adults                                    Wed 9/17     3
NH - 1                                               Thur  9/18  517
SS - 8                                                Fri   9/19    77
CH - 2                                                Sat  9/20    10
RS - 3
BW - 1115
AK - 8

U/A - 1