[TN-Bird] Seven Islands WR, Knox Co, east Tenn

  • From: David Trently <dtrently@xxxxxxx>
  • To: TN-Bird <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 10 May 2004 09:18:55 -0400

Seven Islands Wildlife Refuge (east Knox County, Exit 402 off I-40) always
seems to have some surprises when I go there. On Sunday, May 9, I had just
over an hour to spend there, but not until about 2:00 in the afternoon. I
figured I'd spend the time trying to add to the butterfly and dragonfly lists
the Tennessee Valley Nature Club is working on there - but when I parked, I
heard a lot of bird song in the 85 degree heat.
I did add a butterfly to the park list - Silvery Checkerspot. These were quite
common, with not a single Pearl Crescent sighted!

Anyway...the birds...

I think that every bird you'd expect to find there on an early morning walk
was present and vocalizing in mid-afternoon. I could always hear several birds
singing at one time, especially Indigo Buntings and Common Yellowthroats.
Here's the list:

Great Blue Heron   1
Canada Goose   2
N Bobwhite   at least 4 calling regularly
Mourning Dove   1
Yellow-billed Cuckoo   2
Downy Woodpecker   1
N Flicker   2
E Kingbird   1
Purple Martin   6 - using the martin house and the gourds hanging beneath it,
though there appeared to be some competition with starlings.
Tree Swallow   1
Barn Swallow   9
Blue Jay   1
Carolina Chickadee   2
Tufted Titmouse   2
Carolina Wren   3
E Bluebird   3
N Mockingbird   2
Starling   8
Red-eyed Vireo   1
C Yellowthroat   10
Yellow-breasted Chat   3
Summer Tanager   3
N Cardinal   7
Blue Grosbeak   2 - this species has been harder to find in the places I
usually find them in spring. I didn't get any in Morgan County on Saturday
(for IMBD) where I always get them, and the usual place for them at Seven
Islands had none.
Indigo Bunting   15
Field Sparrow   7
Grasshopper Sp   3