[TN-Bird] Tuesday eve trip to Seven Islands

  • From: David Trently <dtrently@xxxxxxx>
  • To: TN-Bird <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 10 May 2004 10:18:00 -0400

On Tuesday May 11, the Tennessee Valley Nature Club will hold a trip to look
for butterflies at Seven Islands Wildlife Refuge. I am posting this here
because all our members are currently birders and we will certainly be looking
and listening for birds as well, and I'd like to encourage more birders to get
involved with studying other wildlife as well.

We will meet at the Refuge at 6:15 p.m.
Directions:
in east Knox County... I-40 Exit 402 (Midway Rd). Head south (following refuge
signs) on Midway Rd for 2 miles. Turn LEFT onto Maples Rd. This road ends at
Kodak Rd where you will turn RIGHT. After about a quarter mile, turn LEFT onto
Kelly Lane, at a small white church. Kelly Lane ends at the parking lot for
the Refuge.

I recommend bringing along something to drink. We'll be out in the sun looking
for the butterflies. The nature club is working on a list of all living things
we can identify at the refuge. Maybe you'll help us add new species to that
list.

Some of the birds we have a good chance of seeing there: Bald Eagle, N
Bobwhite, Summer Tanager, Orchard Oriole, Grasshopper Sparrow, Blue Grosbeak.

We'll have more of these types of trips soon. Unless anyone complains about
the announcements on the TN-Bird list, I'll include them here, always with
bird information as well!!

David Trently,
Knoxville, TN