[THIN] Re: slightly OT: ActiveDirectory resilience

  • From: "Chris Lynch" <lynch00@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 11 Mar 2004 08:13:44 -0800

If the GC is offline, then your users will not be able to log into the
domain properly.  They will log into their local workstations, if there
isn't a policy restricting cached client credentials.  The GC looks up the
group membership of a particular user, Global and Universal Group
Membership.  Only Administrators will not be affected by this.  This is not
the same in Windows Server 2003 with a 2003 Functional Level forest.

I also don't understand why there are TWO separate AD forests.  Why is there
this seperation?  Why not a child level domain to the forest root, and have
2 DC's that are also GC's?

There are is only 1 FSMO role that is necessary for client authentication
(which is dependant on the client OS), and that is the PDC Emulator Role.
The PDC role is only for Windows NT4 and lower clients, as well as password
resets.  The GC is required for group membership enumeration.

Here are some docs from Microsoft that will help explain FSMO roles, and
best placement in the forest:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;197132&Product=win20
00
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;223346&Product=win20
00

Even though the following article explains how to create or move a GC in
Windows 2000, there are links at the bottom of the article to further
explain the GC.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;313994&Product=win20
00

HTH,