[THIN] Re: slightly OT: ActiveDirectory resilience

  • From: Corné Bogaarts <c.bogaarts@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 13 Mar 2004 18:11:25 +0100

Assume the DC holding the GC-role crashed. As the remaining DC cannot verify
whether the user-account is member of a Universal group in an other Domain,
logon should be impossible in this case. This is by design.

(Attempt at an) explanation: an administrator can put 'deny'-permissions on
resources for a Universal group. Assume some user is a member of such a
Universal
group and knows about this configuration. He/She might BSOD the GC. Assume
logon in that case would still be possible. Then the user would be able to gain
access to the resource that (s)he had been specifically denied.