[THIN] Re: Windows 2003 and Office XP Licensing

  • From: "Selinger, Stephen" <SSelinger@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 26 Jun 2003 12:06:05 -0600

Lucas,
Thanks for the speedy reply.  Maybe it is just me but I can not understand
why Micrsoft would license Office XP on a per device basis and then license
Windows 2003 which delivers the office application in a per user
configuration.  It should either be one or the other.  It does not make
sense that a user can connect to a server desktop from multiple devices with
a Windows 2003 per user TSCAL but can not use Microsoft Office unless they
have purchased a license for every device that they will connect from even
if that device is used for 5 minutes or every day of the year.

From what I understand it would be possible to access other non Microsoft
applications from multiple devices provided they have a per user TSCAL.  It
is impossible to manage licensing in this manner as terminal services and
Citrix provide access to applications from any where and any device on the
Internet.  It is pretty hard to say to a user that they can use certain non
MS applications on any device but they can only use Microsoft Office from
certain devices that are licensed for office.  It would be great to purchase
a hundred Office XP per user licenses and allow the users to connect via
terminal services to these applications from any device.  Am I just a
dreamer or have other people on this list struggling with this issue as
well.

I was also under the impression that certain agreements like Select 6 do not
allow for the ability to meter software. I will research this but does
anyone know if this is true.  Don't take this the wrong way but I do not see
how metering avoids the issue of requiring a Office XP license for every
device that uses Office via terminal services. Please feel free to correct
me if I am mistaken.  What are other companies doing to provide remote
access via terminal services and/or Citrix from the Internet in regards to
MS application licensing?

Regards,

Stephen