[THIN] Re: OT:DirecTV Direcway and Citrix Client

  • From: "Mark CALLEJA" <Mark.CALLEJA@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 13 Feb 2003 15:25:10 +0800

Mario

Unless you have no other option DO NOT USE satellite.  We have just
taken over another gov dept's infrastructure who used sat-return for
their comms.

They have a 6M outroute and 128K inroute shared between 14 sites.  Each
site has a 32/64k FR link.  The ping times for for the sat-return (ie up
the frame and down the sat) was about 380ms under load it would peak
around the 500ms.  The two-way sat pings averaged 1500ms.  Even at the
380ms ping times with all SLR tech turned on the latency was still
noticable.  It felt like you hadn't clicked the mouse.  The typeahead
was masked with SLR but still noticable as the screen changes came in
one big bang.

The service providor's engineer kept telling us it was the way we had
setup the Citrix servers.  All the suggestions that the SP provided were
already in place and didn't make any difference the ones and zeros still
have to get from Perth to Syd to Sat to remote base (380ms).  In the end
and in spite of the "fear of god" warnings from the SP's engineer that
it wouldn't work we re-routed the traffic.  All ICA traffic was to
travel to soley over the frame link.  Please note that the max pcs per
base was 10.  All other traffic originating from Perth including Nfuse,
HTTP, printing, went sat-return (Perth to sat to base to frame to
Perth).  Because the ACKS are usually very small it has not impacted the
Frame link.  Any data that needed to come from the base to Perth we used
two-way sat (woefully slow but does not impact on the Citrix sessions
<grin>).  We also turned off all mapping except clipboard - we had to
leave clipboard mapping on because of the users utilising their local IE
for internet browsing and access to intranet and they wanted to copy
URLs between machines.  We forced all printers to be network printers
ONLY no local printers.  This policy means that printing flys.  Some of
our users send 30M or larger files to the printers.  With the 6M
outroute it only takes a couple of minutes to spool.

I wanted to investigate some devices like a Packteer box to re-route the
virtual sessions (across the sat link) or at least bandwidth throtle the
mappings but we have a Token Ring segement that we had to traverse which
meant that it was not possible :(

The only latency we currently see is when a user opens a 150page tender
full of graphics.  It locks up the server and looks like to the other
users on the machine as if the network is slow.  On average we only have
a couple of spikes in which the frame utilisation peaks for those sites
we are uping the frame circute.

Hope this helps
Mk

Mark Calleja
Coordinator Network Systems
Network Systems
Dept Housing and Works
(08) 9222 4941
mark.calleja@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
>>> MarioV@xxxxxxxxx 13/02/03 13:04 PM >>>

Thanks for the input... I think the consensus here is to just deal with
the
slow speed until DSL or Broadband is available.....d@mn!
Oh well.  Thanks again. Mario