[THIN] Re: OT:DirecTV Direcway and Citrix Client

  • From: Steve Snyder <steven_snyder@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 12 Feb 2003 21:16:01 -0800 (PST)

I had one client on Earthlink's 2-way satellite for a
while (I think they use direct-tv, but don't quote me)
- the bandwidth was great, but the latency is awful.
Remember that geosynchronous satellites are some
22,000 miles above the earth's surface, so there's no
hope on improving the latency until someone figures
out how to increase the speed of radiowaves through a
vacuum - which likely won't be anytime soon.

I tried a few citrix sessions for fun, and a dial-up
is more responsive.

ISDN generally goes everywhere and is typically
adequate for ICA traffic. Also, I've found a
third-party phone company that provides 384k T-1 for
real cheap ($169/mo), which has tyically solved the
no-dsl-available-and-isdn-is-too-slow-and-FR-is-too-expensive
issues that many of my smaller, rurally located
clients once had.

http://shopping.yahoo.com