[THIN] Re: OT: Anyone using ACT! in Citrix or otherwise?

  • From: "Evan Mann" <emann@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 19 Oct 2005 10:53:22 -0400

I don't run it on Citrix, but I know this... ACT! 2005 moved to using
MSDE for it's DB.  It uses a .PAD on the local machines file that then
references the database.  You can use a central server with MSDE (or SQL
I believe) for the database and modify the PAD files appropriately.

What this means is that it installs MSDE on every computer it is
installed.  Even if you have a central server for the database there is
no way to tell it to NOT install MSDE.  What I have not tried is
disabling the MSDE services on client machines with no actual DB and
seeing if ACT still works  There is no uninstall for MSDE in add/remove
programs since it's installed as part of ACT.

ACT is gotten considerably worse from an IT standpoint over the years. I
see that ACT 2006 is out, maybe it's better, but I'm extremely doubtful.
I say avoid at all costs.