[THIN] Re: Hyperthreading

  • From: Thin Fan <thinfan@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 30 Sep 2004 10:22:31 -0700

Some more information from Intel:

Excerpt from
http://www.intel.com/business/bss/products/hyperthreading/overview.htm:

In desktop and notebook PCs and entry-level workstations, HT
Technology takes advantage of the multithreading capability that's
built in to Windows* XP and many advanced applications. Multithreaded
software divides its workloads into processes and threads that can be
independently scheduled and dispatched. In a multiprocessor system,
those threads execute on different processors. HT Technology allows a
single Pentium 4 processor to function as two virtual or logical
processors. There's still just one physical Pentium 4 processor in
your PC — but the processor can execute two threads simultaneously.
In servers and high-performance workstations, Hyper-Threading
Technology enables thread-level parallelism (TLP) by duplicating the
architectural state on each processor while sharing one set of
processor execution resources. When scheduling threads, the operating
system treats the two distinct architectural states as separate
"logical" processors, which allows multiprocessor capable software to
run unmodified on twice as many logical processors. Although
Hyper-Threading Technology will not provide the level of performance
scaling achieved by adding a second processor, benchmark tests show
some server applications can experience a 30 percent gain in
performance. While this technology can boost applications running on
Microsoft Windows* 2000 Advanced Server, it will perform best with
operating systems that have been optimized for Hyper-Threading
Technology, including Microsoft .NET* Server, Windows XP*, and certain
versions of Linux*.

And Microsoft's comments:

http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000/server/evaluation/performance/reports/hyperthread.asp

http://www.rtosoft.com/enter.asp?id20