[THIN] Re: Hyperthreading

  • From: Dogers <dogers@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 30 Sep 2004 23:33:29 +0100

On Thu, 30 Sep 2004 12:18:07 -0400, Bernd Harzog
<bernd.harzog@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Well what we discovered is that when a process is running on one of the
> virtual CPU's (2 or 3) and goes rogue, it shuts down the whole server. So, if
> something uses 25% of CPU (all of CPU 2 or 3) doing this on a virtual CPU on
> Windows 2000 somehow clogs up the entire system. So, our recommendations
> were; 1) don't use hyperthreading on Windows 2000, and if you insist upon
> turning it on, don't use Affinity to assign any processes to the virtual
> CPU's (only assign processes to the physical ones).
>
> I would be interested in knowing if anyone else has seen anything like this.
> If you have, and you could share with the list that would be most useful.

YES! This sounds exactly like what we get, but only on win2003!
Specifically in Sage Line 50 - it has functions which chew up 25% of a
CPU (cant remember right now which one though..!) and the whole server
comes to its knees for all users until the functions are stopped. I
want to try and disable HT to test and see if its that thats actually
doing it, but its our sole server, so is a little difficult :(

Andrew
This Weeks Sponsor RTO Software
http://www.rtosoft.com/enter.asp?id=320