[THIN] Re: Backup printserver/Importing printserver with DNS name

  • From: Lennart Koschella <lk@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 22 Jul 2004 14:27:13 +0200

joanne.determann@xxxxxxxxx wrote:

Yes it is possible. We have the same setup  and wanted failover. Months
ago I imported my DNS print name into the farm and everything runs fine.

Glad to read that it is generally possible. However, I tried it different ways (fully qualified, putting various domains into the suffix list etc.) without success. I always get the error mentioned in my last message. I also tried to import other machines with shared printers with the same result: Netbios names/IP addresses work, DNS names don't.

Our DNS server is a Unix box, but this should be no difference as it does just the name/ip resolution (am I wrong here)? We don't use Active Directory either.

Is your environment similar to ours (Windows 2000 SP3, MFXP 1.0 SP3/FR3)?

With kind regards,

Lennart Koschella
System Adminstrator
University Hospital Tuebingen/Germany

Using the latest software, hardware, networking technologies, proven technical expertise, proprietary software and best practices, EOL provides custom-tailored solutions for each client?s mission and specific goals.
http://www.go-eol.com