[texbirds] eBird: Subspecies and Filters

  • From: Elliott Gordon <tengalloncat@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: TexBirds <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 6 Apr 2013 15:23:38 -0500

For my eBird submissions, I have checked the "show subspecies" box. This is
especially convenient for Yellow-rumped Warblers this time of year. But it
has led to some questions:
Why not set the Audubon's filter at 0 to encourage details, as they are
less expected in central (and east) Texas?
Why does Harlan's Red-tail show up automatically, but the Eastern filter is
set at 0?

Those are just a few that bug me every time. It seems that, either the
expected subspecies should have non-zero filters or all subspecies should
be set at 0, rather than a select few. I realize the effort that goes into
maintaining filters, so some homogeneity necessary, but how much?

Elliott Gordon
AF5HH
NW Austin