[texbirds] Santa Ana NWR Back Road Survey

  • From: MiriamEagl@xxxxxxx
  • To: texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 6 Apr 2013 16:44:54 -0400 (EDT)

Hi, all!

Kind of a blustery morning, but at least had a few migrants on the auto
tour and back trails; highlights include several Broad-winged Hawks (including
a  juvie that posed for pictures), at least 50 Swainson's Hawks sitting
around in  the fields (viewed from the levee), both Brown-crested and Great
Crested  Flycatchers, and the usual local specialties such as the Beardless
Tyrannulet,  Gray Hawk (great look at the end of the Jaguarundi Trail
overlooking the river),  and Altamira Oriole.  Thought I had a Mississippi
Kite, but
it was a brief  look before he disappeared behind the trees, and with the
wind I noticed that  even the Broadies were looking rather skinny-tailed and
pointy-winged at certain  angles, so I let that one go.  Schmoozed with one
of the guys at the hawk  watch for a bit; he spotted a distant big-nosed
kingfisher that I only got a  brief look at before it dove off the palm it was
sitting on, but on my second  pass later in the morning they had concluded it
was Belted, so I let that one  go, too.  Some Couch's Kingbirds on the
Resaca Trail were whooping it up  and made for a nice recording!  Cattail Lakes
were little more than puddles  (although it looked as though water was being
pumped in), but the grassy area  housed my first Savannah Sparrows for the
refuge!

Pics and recording are here:

http://miriameaglemon.com/photo_gallery/2013%20Field%20Trips/April/Santa%20A
na%20Survey%20April.html

Bird List:

Santa Ana NWR (LTC 059), Hidalgo, US-TX
Apr 6, 2013 7:10 AM - 11:05  AM
Protocol: Traveling
8.0 mile(s)
Comments:     Auto  tour survey; windy, mid-60's, overcast, some drizzle
49  species
Mottled Duck  2
Plain Chachalaca  21
Great  Egret  1