[texbirds] Re: Another Perspective

  • From: "highlandbirds@xxxxxxxxx" <highlandbirds@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, tedleeeubanks@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 29 May 2012 11:28:36 -0500

I once worked at a grain elevator in Galveston. This was certainly before Texbirds and possibly even before the internet. I think there was a "hotline" that you could use to report unusual bird sightings and I tried to use it once, but was never sure I got through. It was a recording that you listened to then you recorded your message.

I saw several strange little doves that I knew were not Inca Doves, but I had no idea what they should be called. I also saw some colorful birds that I couldn't recognize. Many of them hung around the elevator for a while. I imagine the abundant supply of spilled grain had something to do with that.

These birds may have been escaped or released birds from the ships, but they could have been hitch hikers too.

David Bryant Kingsland Tx.