[texbirds] Re: Another Perspective

  • From: Joseph Kennedy <josephkennedy36@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: tedleeeubanks@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 29 May 2012 13:40:11 -0500

> Where is there a pattern for ship-borne vagrancy? I see absolutely none. I
> do see something of a pattern for birds released from the bird trade along
> the border, and I agree that at times the call is a difficult one
> (orange-breasted bunting, for example). What about the Aztec thrush in
> Corpus (Packery, I believe)? Yes, I have seen it caged (once, in western
> Mexico). But what is more likely, a true vagrant appearing along our coast
> or someone sneaking an Aztec thrush across the border, releasing it, and it
> finding its way to Packery? And where does Dan's white-crowned elaenia fit?
> Just exactly which ship would this South American species have hopped?
>
> Ted Lee Eubanks
> Austin, Texas
>
> ------------------

I might go a little further in regard to the total lack of any probability
that some of these birds ever went near a ship.

Let us take the white-crested elaenia on padre island. Either the
flycatching bird boarded a ship in Chile, road up the west coast of South
America, went through the Panama Canal and then got off when the ship came
into Brownsville, a period of weeks, not days. Or it flew north to the
Caribbean, thousands of miles out of its range and boarded a ship for
Brownsville and then went to a remote spot where birders go, not stopping
in good habitat nearer the port.

This year the elaenia did even better. It got on the boat in Chile again
and rode all the way to New York City where it changed ships for Montreal
or got on a really rare direct sailing to Montreal. It then transferred to
a lake boat, stopped at several ports on the way and finally got off in
Chicago after a couple of months of flycatching on board. It then went to a
city park where it was again found by birders.

The tropical mockingbird could have gotten on a boat to Houston and then
flew 100 miles to a coastal enclave frequented by birders. If it is
non-migratory why did it migrate to a boat in the first place and not stay
at the port of houston.

Two strays found in the same South Texas come to mind that are not migrants
to the area and are out of season, the redpoll and snow bunting of past
years. Why are the same individuals not demanding that these birds should
not be counted as they could have come on a boat from Canada or New England
in the same manner. Or do birds only use ships for assistance when going
north.

Many "resident" mountain species erupt out the the Rockies or Sierras every
few years but no one says that they road trains or trucks since boats are
out of the question. I take it back since some have said that all out of
range rock wrens rode trains to get to where they were found. Not sure what
train went to Smith Point last year. Or who kept the wrens captive and
released them far from the wrens home near birders but in wren habitat at
dams etc.

If you read the latin american section of "American Birds" each season
there is constant theme of new records of resident birds found hundreds of
miles from their normal territory. But no one writes that they were all
captive birds released far from home. They are assumed to stray but the
same straying is not allowed to Texas.

Alaska has a list of at least 100 species that strayed further from their
home range than our strays. Almost all are found at remote islands or ports
where boats go. But no one demands that they not be listed as they are
escaped captives even though many have worn plumage especially in the fall.
Or that boats can go to those same places.

It appears that the prejudice or law against birds straying only applies to
birds on the coast. No one has written that the rufous-capped warblers in
the hill country are not countable and no one took pictures of their
tales.But they are out of range. And range status changes.

Barnacle geese were not counted for years but ever larger populations are
now breeding closer to north america so that now east coast records are
generally accepted especially when with birds known to come from the same
breeding area. But they are also common in captivity and a texas bird would
be more likely an escapee. But in another ten years that might not be so.
Re-introduced trumpeter swans in the mid-west are doing very well and are
wandering more and if the trend continues will re-populate the swan lakes
of texas.

We had much churning of texas birds last winter due to drought which is
still going on with 80% of the state again at least abnormally dry. Much of
mexico, south and central america have the same problem with the same
effect on bird populations. The last couple of winters have seen record
cold in south america and freezes where only seen every 50 years or so.

But there are also large bird markets just across the border and even here
in Texas at flea markets. Apparently the houston market works like an old
time speakeasy and you have to be sent by Joe with a password to see what
birds are for sale. It is somewhat illegal to sell cardinals and buntings
but if joe sent you, you can buy them with no trouble. In Houston I can
call an 800 number to turn in a crook. But in florida, I can call an 800
number to turn in bird sellers especially of painted buntings. Glad I do
not have to sort escapees out from the true strays.

--
Joseph C. Kennedy
on Buffalo Bayou in West Houston