[techtalk] The saga continues

  • From: Paul Ferguson <paul@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: techtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 07 Mar 2009 17:34:42 +0000

Hiya,

Having received my replacement Radeon 4850 I eagerly installed it
only to be met with various problems which appear to stem from the
fact that I`m attempting to run it alongside an nVidia card.

Problems ranged from the PC locking up to general graphics slowdowns and
instability. When attempting to set up the monitor attached to the nVidia
card I was greeted with this error:

"The currently selected graphics display driver can not be used. It was written
for a previous version of Windows, and is no longer compatible with
this version of Windows.

The system has been started using the default VGA driver.

Please contact your hardware manufacturer to get an upgraded driver, or select
one of the Microsoft provided drivers."

Now, bearing in mind that I had this combination of hardware running for
at least 2 months before the original Radeon died I`m somewhat confused.

I`ve tried removing and reinstalling drivers in just about every order and using
older drivers as well but it refuses to play ball.

Any ideas out there please ?

Cheers
Paul