[techtalk] Re: The saga continues

  • From: Paul Ferguson <paul@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: techtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 08 Mar 2009 17:27:51 +0000

Gary Colville wrote:

http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=1924473

Just had a read and yeah that looks nasty :(

The 9600M in the new MacBooks, forums are full of people complaining about it showing corruption when under load. Those vertical stripes are depressingly familiar, I've seen them so often from broken Nvidia chips that I won't use Nvidia GPUs or chipsets (except the old G80, which seems to be okay) in a build even if I'm asked to. It's just asking for trouble.

I had an old nVidia card do something very similar but the stripes were
there right from boot so I don`t think it`s quite the same issue. That said
I put it down to the card being damaged somehow as it hadn`t been stored very
carefully.

I know I`d be fuming if a new one did that though ;)

Cheers
Paul