[TechAssist] Re: Mitsubishi VS-5043 leaking tube assy

  • From: "Leonard G. Caillouet" <lcaillo@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <techassist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 11 Dec 2002 15:34:41 -0500

When we do one, we do all three.  The brackets on these things are made of
stamped metal and are not welded at the corners so they can flex under
stress.  We seal the tubes with a thin layer of RTV on the gasket to make
sure that there is never another leak.  They are not any more difficult than
other tubes in other makes.  Tedious and time consuming job, but not
difficult at all.

Mits is playing safe by recommending tube replacement.  If there is any
coolant on the anode lead or yoke I'd lean toward replacing also due to the
possibility of arcs.  I have not seen this to be the case on any sets except
one later model that had coolant in the yoke and was arcing all over the
place.  How it got there I don't know but it was a mess.  Mitsubishi covered
that one under warranty even though it was out of the normal warranty
period.

Leonard G. Caillouet
Service Manager
Electronics World