[TechAssist] Re: CTC203CH3 RCA CHASSIS

  • From: Wayne Vanaman <Wayne@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: techassist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 21 Oct 2005 07:34:32 -0500

Alvin:
I have no idea what Lindsey is talking about.  I don't know anything
about a "power on reset" repair.

On these sets (and most RCAs) at plug in the micro inventories the
chassis to determine which audio functions, PIP functions, convergence
functions, etc, are installed on the chassis.  The micro then knows
which menus to enable.

If the set operates without the PIP module installed it would indicate a
faulty PIP circuit.  These jumpers mentioned are simply passing the
video thru the absent pip module.

The primary suspect would be the PIP processor, u18100 248620 $42 cost.

Scope the clock and data lines.  At plug in there should be a burst of
activity that ceases.  If the activity continues the set will not turn on.

You can do the next two steps in either order.

1. Desolder pins 26 and 27, clock and data respectively, of PIP
processor U18100.  Check for data activity that ceases.  See if the set
comes on.  You probably will not have a picture.  If so, this chip is
probably bad.

2. Pin 26 of IC18100 is data out.  It feeds SMD Q18102 which couples to
Q18101 the data buffer to the PIP data input.  If this transistor is
faulty it can cause a dead set, and you probably did not have good data
pulses on pin 27.  Remove the transistor and if the set comes on,
probably with no picture as the PIP processor has not answered the
micro, this transistor is bad.

Wayne Vanaman
Omega Electronics
6904 W Fairfield Dr