[TCUG] Re: Zig Zag Markings

  • From: Terry Gardner <Terry.Gardner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'tcug@xxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <tcug@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 16 Jul 2002 15:47:38 +0100

The draft TSR&GD shows Zig Zags as Diagram 1001.3. Unfortunately it also
refers to Direction 49 which is:

Placing of road marking shown in diagram 1001.3
49.-(1) Zig-zag lines may be placed on the carriageway of a road-
(a) only on the approaches to a signal controlled crossing facility ("the
relevant facility"); and

(b) if and only if the requirements specified in paragraph (2) are met.
(2) The requirements are-
(a) zig-zag lines are placed on each side of the relevant facility; and

(b) vehicular traffic is stopped at the relevant facility only for the
purpose of enabling pedestrians, cyclists or equestrians to cross the
carriageway and not for the purpose of regulating the priority of vehicular
traffic at a junction.

I would interpret this as zig zags are not permitted at ped crossings on
traffic signals as traffic is stopped at traffic signals for the purpose of
regulating etc etc. I suggest that zig zags will still only be permissible
at standalone crossings

Terry Gardner
Traffic Systems Engineer
Glamorgan Engineering Consultancy