[TCUG] Re: Signalised roundabouts

  • From: mervyn.hallworth@xxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: tcug@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 10 Aug 2005 10:42:19 +0100

I asked this question because I will be giving a presentation shortly to
some Italian road designers - at a seminar all about 'roundabouts' (it
seems quite a lot of countries have not yet taken to roundabouts to any
significant extent).

I will of course be suggesting that at higher/imbalanced flows,
'roundabouts' can often require to be signalised, and that some authorities
in the UK are even designing 'signalised roundabouts' from new. Also, where
they are designing them from new, they are not restricting themselves to
'circular' signalised roundabouts (i.e. 3 entry r/bouts can be more
'triangular', 4 entry ones 'squarer' etc. to better effect). This latter
point is beautifully illustrated by 2 'square' Devon examples from Dick
(one of which is 'new design').

So it seems that there are a few 'new design' signalised roundabouts
around. If there are any more responses I would be pleased to hear them,
otherwise my thanks to those who replied.

Mervyn
Leeds 0113 2476750

                      Key David

                      <David.Key@sheffi         To:      "'tcug@xxxxxxxxxxxxx'"
<tcug@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
                      eld.gov.uk>               cc:

                      Sent by:                  Subject: [TCUG] Re: Signalised
roundabouts
                      tcug-bounce@freel

                      ists.org

                      09/08/2005 12:34