[TCUG] Signal ducting

  • From: Bull Peter <Peter.Bull@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: tcug@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 12 Jul 2002 17:14:58 +0100

We are expecting an assault on our current installation standards because of
the difficulties contractors face threading a fully ducted system through
some of our congested city centre footways. We've worked hard to achieve the
current standards, which we feel reduce damage during the life of the
installation, and make it easier to repair when it does occur - so we don't
want to be forced to cut back.

Could I have some feedback about what other people do? Do some people still
only duct road crossings and coil cables in sand at the base of the pole?
Has anyone got any ingenious ways of getting ducts through congested
footways, and finding ways to plant the poles where they need to be - we're
quite proud of the "Sheffield spur" swept T arrangement (for details contact
Howard Saffer)? Anyone done a cost comparison and estimated the benefits a
fully ducted system provides?

Pete

Planning Transport & Highways, Sheffield City Council, Howden House,
1 Union Street, Sheffield, S1 2SH   Tel: (0114) 273 6174

The information in this email is confidential. The contents may not be
disclosed or used by anyone other than the addressee.  If you are not the
addressee, please tell us by using the reply facility in your email software as
soon as possible. Sheffield City Council cannot accept any responsibility for
the accuracy or completeness of this message as it has been transmitted over a
public network.  If you suspect that the message may have been intercepted or
amended please tell us as soon as possible.