[TCUG] Re: Signal Control Stop Lines

  • From: Grahame Bath <grahame.bath@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: tcug@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 23 Apr 2008 14:41:41 +0100

We were not aware of any requirement to use thermoplastic, just that a
(white) stop line to diag 1001 (TSRGD) should be installed.
We  have used white sticky road marking tape and even spray paint so cannot
see any reason why white granite blocks would not suffice.
The legality as we see it lies in the dimensions, the location and the
alignment. Hope they get it right first time !

However, wet granite is not the first material we would think of with
adequate skid resistance.

Regards

Grahame

Grahame Bath
Senior Engineer
Network Management & Information
Surrey County Council
020 8541 7346 (Tel)   020 8541 7366 (Fax)

             "Beever, Dennis"
             <dbeever@wakefiel
             d.gov.uk>                                                  To
             Sent by:                  "'tcug@xxxxxxxxxxxxx'"
             tcug-bounce@freel         <tcug@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
             ists.org                                                   cc

                                                                   Subject
             23/04/08 12:50            [TCUG] Signal Control Stop Lines

             Please respond to
             tcug@xxxxxxxxxxxx

We are replacing an existing traffic signal control installation within our
city centre.  A significant investment in materials is to be made as the
final scheme will figure centrally in our public realm.  Granite will be
used in the carriageway construction and we are seeking alternatives to
thermoplastic to define the signal controlled stop lines.  The possibility
of a contrasting white granite has been tabled as an option.  I'm aware of
the relevant BSI that lining materials must adhere to and tolerances on
stopline widths etc, but the alternative of thermoplastic on granite is not
entirely attractive.
Has anyone used anything other than thermpolastic to deliniate stop lines
at traffic signal control junctions in public realm schemes?

Dennis Beever
Group Engineer, Urban Traffic Control
Regeneration Services
City of Wakefield MDC

E-mail dbeever@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Telephone 01924 306051

The WMDC Disclaimer can be found at:
http://www.wakefield.gov.uk/SiteInformation/E-MailDisclaimer/default.htm

This message has been scanned for malware by SurfControl plc.

This email and any attachments with it are intended for the addressee only.
It may be confidential and may be the subject of legal and/or professional
privilege.
If you have received this email in error please notify the sender or
postmaster@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
The content may be personal or contain personal opinions and cannot be taken as
an expression of the County Council's position.
Surrey County Council reserves the right to monitor all incoming and outgoing
mail.
Whilst every care has been taken to check this outgoing e-mail for viruses, it
is your responsibility to carry out any checks upon receipt.

Visit the Surrey County Council website - http://www.surreycc.gov.uk