[TCUG] Re: Problems with BT Circuits

  • From: Dick Andrews <RAndrews@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'tcug@xxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <tcug@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 21 Oct 2003 16:50:36 +0100

Hamilton,
I have no comment on your summary - 2 is definitely a problem. Allegedly
these are being replaced with water resistant LTU's but I am not convinced.
One or two other comments:

Price - the latest quote we have received is approximately twice that which
we are used to, and we have been asked to complete a Private Services
Customer requirement form, which can take 30 to 60 minutes to complete, just
to get a quote. As far as we can see much of this data bears little
relevance to our requirements. Are other authorities doing this?, is this a
new requirement?, or have we just got away without doing it before.

Fault repairs - this can be lengthy and frustrating with a lot of
re-reporting. A number of examples of BT running a software check on the
line which in itself clears the fault and BT claim a "no fault found". If
you are lucky enough to speak directly to an engineer then this is not a
problem as they seem able to flag a circuit in such a way that it is not
tested on the report of a fault, but if you are just dealing with "call
centre" type personnel, it can be difficult to make progress.
We rarely see the same engineer twice, however if you do get an engineer who
is familiar with this type of circuit then the fault can be repaired
quickly.

 Paul Tothill