[TCUG] Pedestrian revert to all red

  • From: "Crabtree, Mark R" <mcrabtree@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <tcug@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 21 Jan 2004 09:59:15 -0000

Some of you may know that a couple of us at TRL see the tcug freelist.
It was to allow us to answer MOVA questions (and although that's not
necessarily an invitation for loads of questions, we are happy to answer
questions on that subject). We would not normally interject on any other
subject, however, I think the correspondence on revert to all-red for
pelicans and puffins needs some comment - we have recently considered
the issue for the HA.

Firstly - to clear one point, to rest on the green man is, in fact,
illegal!

Resting on all red (ie red man and red to traffic) isn't illegal, but
does have at least one potentially dangerous characteristic. If a
pedestrian approaches the crossing with the traffic signal on red, they
may suppose that it is safe to cross and start to do so, without having
pressed the wait button (and ignoring the red-man signal). This could
coincide with a vehicle being detected, causing the signals to go green
in favour of traffic. Vehicles then have right of way and may continue,
with the potential for undesirable consequences! Some of you may
consider that there are ways to reduce or eliminate this by, for
example, delaying the change to green to ensure the first car that was
detected has to stop, or at least slow significantly. Unfortunately, if
there are two or more lanes, there will always be the potential for the
green to start such that a vehicle on the approach is afforded
unhindered progress. Thus we considered resting on all-red as not a good
idea.

Having identified this potentially dangerous characteristic, and whether
or not you agree, or have found that doesn't occur in practice, the
point has been made and is known. If the worst did happen due to the
circumstances above, it might be difficult to defend the use of all-red.

With regards

Mark

Mark Crabtree
Principal Engineer
Tel 01344 770959
www.trl.co.uk
www.trlsoftware.co.uk

This communication contains information sent from the TRL Limited
email system which is confidential, and may also be privileged.
It is for the exclusive use of the addressee.  If you are not the
addressee, please note that any distribution, copying or use of
this communication, or the information therein, is prohibited.
the sender by return email.

TRL Limited reserves the right to monitor emails in accordance
with the Telecommunications Lawful Business Practice -
Interception of Communications Regulations 2000.

-- HTML Attachment decoded to text by Ecartis --

www.trl.co.uk[1]
www.trlsoftware.co.uk[2]

This communication contains information sent from the TRL Limited
email system which is confidential, and may also be privileged.
It is for the exclusive use of the addressee. If you are not the
addressee, please note that any distribution, copying or use of
this communication, or the information therein, is prohibited.
the sender by return email.

TRL Limited reserves the right to monitor emails in accordance
with the Telecommunications Lawful Business Practice -
Interception of Communications Regulations 2000.

--- Links ---
   1 file://www.trl.co.uk
   2 file://www.trlsoftware.co.uk