[TCUG] Re: Diagonal pedestrian crossings at junctions.

  • From: Bull Peter <Peter.Bull@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'tcug@xxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <tcug@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 29 Jun 2004 11:08:09 +0100

There is likely to be some guidance about diagonal crossings in the TAL for
pedestrian facilities at signalled junctions that the DfT are currently
drafting. The draft I have seen has a paragraph about them, but it doesn't
start too encouragingly "This idea is largely untried ..." and "Diagonal
crossings are not considered appropriate for many disabled users". They say
that conventional orthogonal crossings should always be supplied as well, and
that flush kerbs, tactile paving and audible/tactile signals should NOT be
provided on the diagonal part. They add that careful thought is needed about
markings and surfacings to ensure partially-sighted pedestrians are not misled.
So its a fairly tricky design problem even before you get to the problems of
on-crossing detection and pedestrian indicators.

In practice at most all-round pedestrian stages a few brave souls will cross
diagonally; it would probably be very difficult to design a layout to cater for
those not as fleet of foot which doesn't mislead the partially-sighted. I think
diagonal crossings are only going to be appropriate at a few special locations.
If you think you've got one it would probably be wise to have a word with the
DfT, in the draft TAL they do say that a few exist already.

Peter Bull
Sheffield City Council