[TCUG] Re: Diagonal pedestrian crossings at junctions.

  • From: "Bruce Slattery" <bruce_slattery@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <tcug@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 29 Jun 2004 08:29:03 +0100

I have investigated this in the past and have found pitfalls when =
considering tactile paving and suitable clearance times.=20

The issue becomes more complex when puffins are taken into account as =
current on crossing detectors have a maximum range of about 15 metres and =
usually require some overlap to achieve sensible coverage so diagonal =
crossings cause problems. I am also aware of problems at puffin junctions =
when people walk diagonally as they leave the 'extension zone very quickly =
and thus the junction would revert back to the traffic flow whilst they =
are in the middle of a junction, this could give problems at nearby =
junctions if diagonal crossings were introduced.

This limitation has prevented the use of diagonal crossings in Bristol as =
we now install puffins at all of our major works.

In reality I try to achieve walk with traffic solutions to in most of the =
schemes undertaken as I believe this to be the most efficient use of road =
space even when it requires additional scheme costs, which in it's self =
makes diagonal crossings inappropriate.

Regards=20
Bruce Slattery
Traffic Signals Manager

 =20

>>> MASmith@xxxxxxxxxxxx 06/28/04 08:32 AM >>>
Dear all,
I wonder if anyone could shed some light on diagonal pedestrian crossings =
at
signalised junctions.  I have recently received a message from a member of
one of my authorities Pedestrian Consultative groups who was getting quite
excited about crossingsof this nature, apparently this person had heard
discussion about such a feature in Balham on a Radio 4 programme
"Routemasters" (2 June 04) and now sees this as the answer to all of her
prayers.

If anyone has experience of this type of crossing and could give me some
background, problems, pitfalls, legal, allthe usual stuff without getting
embroiled in a convoluted talking shop I'd be very grateful.

Many thanks.

Matthew Smith - Assistant Engineer
Leicestershire County Council
HT&WM | Engineering Services | Traffic Signals.
Tel. 0116 265 xxxx | Fax. 0116 265 xxxx
e-mail | masmith(AT)leics.gov.uk=20