[TCUG] Re: BV 165 Submission

  • From: Bull Peter <Peter.Bull@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'tcug@xxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <tcug@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 10 Jul 2002 12:42:54 +0100

I think the 1999 Guidance is fairly clear on these issues. The drop kerb
diagram (Figure 1c p14) states that flush is the "Preferred carriageway
surface level" and the " Minimum carriageway surface level" is "Not greater
than 6mm" below. So you would need to try and lay stone kerbs flush and if
any part was more than 6mm higher then it would not be compliant. This
doesn't look good for Sheffield's compromise agreement with our disability
group for a 12/13mm upstand - we will drop to 0%.

In a number of places the guidance refers to the need to provide the wide
band if the tactile paving colour doesn't contrast sufficiently with the
footway colour - so that would still apply if you chose a non-red
conservation area tactile colour which is too close to your footway colour.