I have to agree with Robert on all of his points; especially that an executive
director position should have been posted for public discussion for a much
longer period of time, to allow comments exactly like these to help the board
in making their decision.
This is a community-based organization, and the community should have been
given a chance to have some sort of input about this position.
From: tabi-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:tabi-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of
Sent: Monday, August 31, 2015 6:21 PM
Subject: [tabi] What is the lighthouse of the big bend trying to hide
Apparently around August 17th Barbar Ross director of the Lighthouse of the big
bend resigned with no announcement or reason given to the blind community it
services. To add more insult to injury the job announcement has already been
posted and closed on August 24th. As far as we can tell the job announcement
wasn’t posted on any blindness organization web sites. I have posted a copy of
the job discription below, which to me is very disturbing since blind or
visually impaired is not mentioned once. In the discription where disability is
mentioned they are prefered and not requirements. From the discription it is
very apparent that the board is looking for a money maker not someone who gives
a damn about blind people or there needs. It is pretty scary to have a director
responsibal for the hiring and directing of employees that has no idea what to
look for in who they hire. Since The lighthouse of the Big Bend is a FAASBY
member, I am afraid this is the case with many other member agencies and this
is exactly why the state of Florida is doing a major disservice to it’s blind
I urge all of you to contact the board and express your dismay and demand that
they re-write there job discription and repost the job announcement in places
that might give them a chance to find an aplicant that is qualified to
adequately provide quality services for our community.
NONPROFIT EXECUTIVE DIRECTOR
The Lighthouse of the Big Bend, a local nonprofit in the Tallahassee area is
seeking an Executive Director. This salaried position will pay between $50,000
- $70,000 annually, depending upon experience, and comes with excellent
benefits such as annual, sick and holiday paid leave, health insurance, life
insurance, and retirement benefits.
The Executive Director shall be directed by the Board to include but not be
limited to the following:
a) To coordinate between the Board and staff respecting all business of the
b) To administer and report on all fiscal matters as directed by the Board.
c) To monitor and report on trends respecting the mission of the nonprofit
agency and assist the Board in setting appropriate priorities.
d) To prepare and submit to the Board an annual operating budget for their
e) To develop fund raising activities locally, statewide and nationally for
the proper operation of the nonprofit agency.
f) To maintain a written personnel manual.
g) To recruit, employ and terminate, as may be necessary, the employees of
the nonprofit agency.
h) To coordinate the services of the nonprofit agency with other programs.
i) To provide leadership and promote professional growth by participation on
committees and in training conferences which are pertinent to the mission and
operation of the nonprofit agency, with the prior approval of the Board.
Duties of the Executive Director
• Supports operations and administration of Board by advising and informing
Board members, interfacing between Board and staff and supporting Boards
evaluation of Executive Director, upholding and adhering to the policies and
bylaws of the organization, entering into contracts on behalf of the
organization with the Board of Directors approval.
• Facilitates the development and implementation of the organization’s
strategic plan in collaboration with the Board of Directors.
• Oversees the effective design, marketing, promotion, delivery and quality of
programs, products and services through the recruitment and supervision of the
• Oversees creation and implementation of annual operational plan and
continuous quality improvement plan.
• Recommends yearly budget for Board approval and prudently manages
organization’s resources within those budget guidelines according to current
laws and regulations. Ensure timely and accurate reporting and invoicing on
all contracts and grants.
• Effectively manages the human resources of the organization according to
authorized personnel policies and procedures that fully conform to current laws
• Oversees fundraising planning and implementation, including identifying
resource requirements, researching funding sources, establishing strategies to
approach funders, submitting proposals and administrating fundraising records
• Assures the organization and its mission, programs, products and services are
consistently presented in strong, positive image to the general public, media,
other organizations and relevant stakeholders.
• Performs other duties as assigned.
Executive Director Requirements
• Preferred education level: Master’s Degree with emphasis in management,
social work, human service, psychology, education, or a related field;
• Minimum ten (10) years of management experience preferably in the field of
• Minimum five (5) years experience in social services, preferably with
children/adults with disabilities;
• Proven supervisory and leadership skills;
• Adept at budgeting and strategic planning;
• Knowledge of grant writing experience;
• Skilled in exercising sound judgement and possesses good analytical skills;
• Capable of working with a variety of diverse and multi-cultural personalities
and leadership styles;
• Excellent oral and written communication skills;
• Clear Level 2 background check.
To apply for this position, please submit a cover letter and resume to the
Board President at boardpresident1@xxxxxxxxx by August 24, 2015. Thank you.