[tabi] Re: What is the lighthouse of the big bend trying to hide

  • From: Beth <thebluesisloose@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: tabi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 3 Sep 2015 15:21:26 -0600

Linda and all,
I remember the director and her cronies at first wouldn't allow me to train in Colorado. But I had to go to Walter Blackmon, and that ended that. So now, because LBB could not provide adequate training and because my class load was large, given I had to go to college or something, I personally feel there needs to be more done for college students and transitioning youth with blindness. I had granted two people who I call the memories of sometimes, but I won't name names.
But the big problem was how LBB staff allowed third parties who were not even present with me twenty four hours a day to monopolize my personal goals with the agency. That can't happen with everybody and it will happen with nobody. But the former director I speak of could've made me stay home or go to a lighthouse in Tampa or Miami, and I assume we know the corruption story. So yeah, Linda, and the rest, all the qualities you look for in a director are essential. It has to be someone blind or with knowledge of blindness such as my former mobility teacher who has blind siblings, I again will not name. It has to be someone with that plus administrative and business skills, someone who won't yell at people, someone who will listen to the people around him/her. I was told through the wisdom of many sources that directorship or "headship" is a servant's role, and should be pursued as such.
Beth Taurasi

Beth Taurasi, Windows 10 edition,
Cell: 720-435-7407
Skype: denverqueen0920
Ms_denverqueen on Twitter
Instagram: denverqueen0920
Facebook: www.facebook.com/denverqueen0920

On 9/3/2015 2:43 PM, lynda jones wrote:

I suspect some of you will not agree with my comments and some may even call me an Uncle Tom. My parents were both sighted, and I think many people would say they did a good job helping me to become a successful, independent blind person. I had no blind teachers during 20 years of education. There is an issue here, but that’s another topic for another time. A few teachers were insensitive and a couple even cruel at times, but in 20 years, 98% of them were understanding, accommodating, and even some of the best members of my cheering section.

After returning to university at the ripe old age of 40 to study vision rehab, I had three professional mentors; all three of them are sighted. While teaching at FSU, I had outstanding visually impaired and sighted students. If I were newly blinded, there are just as many sighted graduates as blind graduates that I would trust with my rehabilitation. The only thing a sighted person cannot provide is the empathy that comes with being blind yourself. One of my mentor’s, remember she is sighted, once said to me, “You have the potential of being the best teacher in the world.” (She wasn’t bragging on me.) She continued, “If you develop outstanding teaching skills, then you will be the best, because you can relate to your clients as a blind person in a way a sighted person never can.” She also said, “Being blind doesn’t make you a good teacher. In fact, if you are not a good teacher, then you may cause more harm than good.” I’ve never forgotten those words.

What the Lighthouse needs is a Director with both good administrative skills and a knowledge of blindness. We need not think back too far to the last time DBS had a blind Director to know that just being blind doesn’t make you a good director or a good role model. I might add some of you were her biggest supporters. I was not and she knew that.

We have had a time of venting and that’s been cathartic for all of us, but it’s time to quit rehashing what we can’t undo; reopening wounds that need to heal; pointing our fingers at people who can’t help that they are sighted; and start talking as much about how we can become part of the solution. What can we do as the blindness community to help the Lighthouse recover? It is the only agency around here providing services. We need a plan so we can become the hands and feet that will help restore LBB to what it once was or even make it better!

Lynda

#1 This organization has progressed to the point where it would benefit from the services of paid, short term (maximum four years board members) with some pre-determined qualifications.

#2 As many others have stated, and I believe was bottom line to my resignation issues, Barbara’s position needs to be replaced by two separate individuals with separate and distinct responsibilities – one for fund raising, and one for staff development.

#3 I realize with my resignation from the Board, I have chosen to not keep up with issues at Lighthouse. In some ways I regret this; in many ways, perhaps excuses, I understand and accept my decision of removal, as I hope many of you will also; like so many life decisions, perhaps it was not a best one, but it did seem appropriate at the time and circumstances. I continue to care deeply for Lighthouse and always will as I daily remember I am here, where I am, because of the services Lighthouse, and especially Jeanine, Evelyn, Jim Breen, and Chip, and so many others made available to me.

#4 This is not an excuse; it is real. I will always thank Barbara for all she did for Lighthouse of the Big Bend. She definitely brought us from near extinction to way beyond survival mode. She did everything and more her resume, and our reasons for hearing her for her position expected.

#5 In my opinion, the biggest fault lies with the board. Although it is made up of excellent, good, dedicated, and well intentioned/ committed people, it is time for a total change and probably oversight and direction from an independent source.

Thank you for this opportunity to express my personal opinions. Norine