[tabi] Re: What is the lighthouse of the big bend trying to hide

  • From: "lynda jones" <lyndajones2414@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <tabi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 31 Aug 2015 21:53:13 -0400

Robert:

I agree with much of what you have written. I too am puzzled as to why they
would close a job posting for an Executive Director in one week. Let me put
a bit of a different perspective to the situation.

I do know why Barbara resigned. It wasn't her management skills that forced
a resignation; it is her lack of people skills as well as her lack of
knowledge of quality blindness services. For more than three years the
Lighthouse Board of Directors has ignored evidence that Barbara was
mistreating some of her staff. They were told several times by several
people and chose to ignore the evidence and stand behind Barbara. Recently,
they were forced into accountability.

Executive Directors of many businesses are often managers rather than
experts on the service part of the business. It would be wonderful, if there
is someone who knows both sides of the picture-blindness and management. But
you can't run a business without the management skills.

As I read the job announcement, I noticed that the Board is again giving
total power to a single individual. This new Director will oversee every
aspect of the Lighthouse. It is quite possible that they could hire someone
else like Barbara and again ignore all red flags.

It is my belief that the only way to avoid repeating the problem is to hire
two individuals with both of them answering directly to the Board. One
person would manage the business and fundraising part of the Lighthouse. The
other person, qualified in blindness services, would hire staff and manage
client services.

Lynda

_____