[tabi] Re: What is the lighthouse of the big bend trying to hide

  • From: Beth <thebluesisloose@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: tabi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 31 Aug 2015 19:14:03 -0600

Hi, all.
Since I've left Tallahassee, it seems that the Almighty Dollar is to blame for the downhill spiral of services for the blind. I would like to see better services for all kinds of disabled people in Florida before anything happens. I've seen how bad service, especially the ones in Florida, can have bad mental impact on later attempts at training. I was with Lighthouse for services, and all my instructors were bribed to count how many times my head rocked, keep a log of every pithy detail of stuff that really didn't matter but to sighted eyes, it did. I am now living in Colorado but because of the bad services and now I see the downward slope in Tallahassee, I can't go back to Florida because more bribes are possible.
Beth

Beth Taurasi, Windows 10 edition,
Cell: 720-435-7407
Skype: denverqueen0920
Ms_denverqueen on Twitter
Instagram: denverqueen0920
Facebook: www.facebook.com/denverqueen0920

On 8/31/2015 4:21 PM, Robert Miller wrote:

Apparently around August 17th Barbar Ross director of the Lighthouse of the big bend resigned with no announcement or reason given to the blind community it services. To add more insult to injury the job announcement has already been posted and closed on August 24th. As far as we can tell the job announcement wasn’t posted on any blindness organization web sites. I have posted a copy of the job discription below, which to me is very disturbing since blind or visually impaired is not mentioned once. In the discription where disability is mentioned they are prefered and not requirements. From the discription it is very apparent that the board is looking for a money maker not someone who gives a damn about blind people or there needs. It is pretty scary to have a director responsibal for the hiring and directing of employees that has no idea what to look for in who they hire. Since The lighthouse of the Big Bend is a FAASBY member, I am afraid this is the case with many other member agencies and this is exactly why the state of Florida is doing a major disservice to it’s blind citizans.
I urge all of you to contact the board and express your dismay and demand that they re-write there job discription and repost the job announcement in places that might give them a chance to find an aplicant that is qualified to adequately provide quality services for our community.
Robert

NONPROFIT EXECUTIVE DIRECTOR

The Lighthouse of the Big Bend, a local nonprofit in the Tallahassee area is seeking an Executive Director. This salaried position will pay between $50,000 - $70,000 annually, depending upon experience, and comes with excellent benefits such as annual, sick and holiday paid leave, health insurance, life insurance, and retirement benefits.

The Executive Director shall be directed by the Board to include but not be limited to the following:

a) To coordinate between the Board and staff respecting all business of the nonprofit agency.

b) To administer and report on all fiscal matters as directed by the Board.

c) To monitor and report on trends respecting the mission of the nonprofit agency and assist the Board in setting appropriate priorities.

d) To prepare and submit to the Board an annual operating budget for their approval.

e) To develop fund raising activities locally, statewide and nationally for the proper operation of the nonprofit agency.

f) To maintain a written personnel manual.

g) To recruit, employ and terminate, as may be necessary, the employees of the nonprofit agency.

h) To coordinate the services of the nonprofit agency with other programs.

i) To provide leadership and promote professional growth by participation on committees and in training conferences which are pertinent to the mission and operation of the nonprofit agency, with the prior approval of the Board.

Duties of the Executive Director

• Supports operations and administration of Board by advising and informing Board members, interfacing between Board and staff and supporting Boards evaluation of Executive Director, upholding and adhering to the policies and bylaws of the organization, entering into contracts on behalf of the organization with the Board of Directors approval.

• Facilitates the development and implementation of the organization’s strategic plan in collaboration with the Board of Directors.

• Oversees the effective design, marketing, promotion, delivery and quality of programs, products and services through the recruitment and supervision of the management team.

• Oversees creation and implementation of annual operational plan and continuous quality improvement plan.

• Recommends yearly budget for Board approval and prudently manages organization’s resources within those budget guidelines according to current laws and regulations. Ensure timely and accurate reporting and invoicing on all contracts and grants.

• Effectively manages the human resources of the organization according to authorized personnel policies and procedures that fully conform to current laws and regulations.

• Oversees fundraising planning and implementation, including identifying resource requirements, researching funding sources, establishing strategies to approach funders, submitting proposals and administrating fundraising records and documentation.

• Assures the organization and its mission, programs, products and services are consistently presented in strong, positive image to the general public, media, other organizations and relevant stakeholders.

• Performs other duties as assigned.

Executive Director Requirements

• Preferred education level: Master’s Degree with emphasis in management, social work, human service, psychology, education, or a related field;

• Minimum ten (10) years of management experience preferably in the field of disabilities;

• Minimum five (5) years experience in social services, preferably with children/adults with disabilities;

• Proven supervisory and leadership skills;

• Adept at budgeting and strategic planning;

• Knowledge of grant writing experience;

• Skilled in exercising sound judgement and possesses good analytical skills;

• Capable of working with a variety of diverse and multi-cultural personalities and leadership styles;

• Excellent oral and written communication skills;

• Clear Level 2 background check.

To apply for this position, please submit a cover letter and resume to the Board President at boardpresident1@gmail.comby August 24, 2015. Thank you.