[suncommunity] Re: Multi-seated Workstation

  • From: Alan Coopersmith <alanc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: suncommunity@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 4 Jun 2003 15:15:38 -0700

On Sun, Jun 01, 2003 at 11:03:59PM +0100, Holger wrote:
> Has anybody experience on running the Blade as a multi-seated Workstation,
> i.e. two users share one workstation at the same time with individual
> keyboards, mice and monitor.
> What do I need to do so (except installing a secondary graphics adapter) ?

I haven't tried on a Blade 100, but have done it on a Blade 1000 with Solaris 9
and got it to work.  (The Xsun in Solaris 8 currently won't work - that may
change soon in an upcoming Xsun patch for Solaris 8.)

Note that what follows is currently not officially supported and may or
may not work for anyone.  You should make sure you are up to date on
Xsun & USB driver patches before starting.

    Configuration:

    The following sections may be added to either
    /etc/openwin/server/etc/OWconfig or
    /usr/openwin/server/etc/OWconfig. The Xserver reads both when
    starting up and merges their contents.

    1. Run ls -l /dev/usb/hid* to see what the existing device names are.

    2. Attach the additional input devices to the machine

    3. ls -l /dev/usb/hid* to see what the newly attached device names
       are. Note at the end of each symlink line it will list whether it is
       a keyboard or a mouse.

    4. Add lines of the following form to OWconfig, one for each device,
       and each with a unique name beginning with "IMOUSE" or "IKBD":

            # sun Keyboard module
            class="XINPUT" name="IKBD2"
                dev="/dev/usb/hid2" strmod="usbkbm"
                 ddxHandler="ddxSUNWkbd.so.1"
                 ddxInitFunc="ddxSUNWkbdProc";

            # sun Mouse module
            class="XINPUT" name="IMOUSE2"
                 dev="/dev/usb/hid3" strmod="usbms"
                    ddxHandler="ddxSUNWmouse.so.1"
                    ddxInitFunc="ddxSUNWmouseProc";

    5.  Add a section to OWconfig to associate each keyboard, mouse, and
        frame buffer with a specific display (in this case ":1"):

               class="XDISPLAY" name="1"
               coreKeyboard="IKBD2" corePointer="IMOUSE2"
               dev0="/dev/fb1";

    6. Test your configuration:  Run an Xserver on
       the display you listed (xinit :1 or add a line for :1 to
       /etc/dt/config/Xservers or /usr/dt/config/Xservers and
       pkill -HUP dtlogin ).

    Limitations:

    Due to the nature of USB and Sun's implementation, USB devices may
    get different numbers when initialized or hot-plugged in a different
    order. A partial solution is to use the full path name under the
    /devices hierarchy - this is tied to the physical port a device is
    plugged into, so the order is no longer a problem, but devices must
    always be plugged into the same port this way.

Alan Coopersmith                              alanc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
http://www.CSUA.Berkeley.EDU/~alanc/       aka: Alan.Coopersmith@xxxxxxx