[sib-access] Re: quarter tone

  • From: "Tim Burgess" <tim@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <sib-access@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 10 Nov 2011 08:36:31 -0000

Hi,

My understanding from a MIDI perspective is that you need an instrument that
supports quarter-tone tuning.  I know that Roland made models of some of
their units that were available as quarter-toned tuning.  I have a Kurzweil
K2600 here that supports something like 30 different tunings, though I must
admit I've never messed around with them (shame on me).  MIDI doesn't care
about your tuning map - it effectively just presses/releases the given key
on the keyboard for you then it's down to the synthesis engine to render it
at a given pitch.

Best wishes.

Tim Burgess
Raised Bar Ltd