[sib-access] Re: OT teaching music notation

  • From: "Farfar Carlson" <dgcarlson@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <sib-access@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 9 Aug 2010 19:46:33 -0700

Steph,

Boy, that's a tough one. If you have never had sight, then describing the
various symbols on a musical staff will be difficult, since Braille music is
a different symbiology  of its own.

Do you have a way to know the shape and position of various note durations
and pitches, and the overall appearance of the musical staff, the clef,
time/key signatures? That may be the first real question.

I've had sight in the past, and so do know what the notes, staff, and other
musical elements are supposed to look like to a sighted reader. So in my
case I could articulate to a student what they are seeing as long as I know
the learning piece in front of them.

A very basic first step I believe would be to teach her to learn the meaning
of the note position on the staff and the key on the piano that goes along
with it, long before introducing the idea of different note durations. The
lines being E-G-B-D-F and the spaces F-A-C-E top-to-bottom, leaving out the
black keys for the present, so as to show the relevance.

Have you considered having a piano teacher work with you and your daughter
(or you at first) to get things started? Then perhaps you can move along on
your own.

Let me know more about the whole situation so I can offer more specific
ideas.