[SI-LIST] Re: why do I need mixed mode S parameters?

  • From: <vince_cavanna@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <cclewell@xxxxxxxxx>, <vince_cavanna@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 16 Sep 2004 12:42:59 -0600

Thanks for the many helpful replies. I got exactly the information I was =
searching for.=20

Basically I got confirmation of my belief that the value of mixed mode S =
parameters is mainly in interpretation of the characteristics of the =
differential device that they represent. But I also learned that there =
may be more value than I thought in using a mixed mode model. I note =
some specifics below.

Jim Nadolny and Bill Beale made me realize another application of mixed =
mode S parameters. When we only know the response of the n-port to =
differential stimulus, and thus don't have enough information to convert =
back to standard s parameters to get a complete model, we can still =
model just the differential response using a mixed mode S parameter =
model - basically we have reduced the 4 port to a 2 port model.=20

This seems to have practical implications beyond that of turning a 4 =
port into a 2 port device. In fact it seems that, if a true mixed mode =
VNA were available and could apply true differential stimulus, then the =
response to a differential stimulus could be measured without connecting =
the gnd of the VNA to the GND of the DUT (which may not be accessible). =
I suppose the same could be done in the time domain using a TDR/TDT and =
those instruments do seem to be available with true differential drive. =
What do you think?

Gary Otonari made me realize about the challenges of de-embedding a 4 =
port device versus a 2 port when we are only interested in differntial =
response.

I agree with Brad Cole that mixed mode S parameters are not restricted =
to lossless devices. Like the standard S parameters they depend on the =
linearity of the n-port that they represent.

Thanks again to all who replied. Looks like I asked the right group.

Vince

List FAQ wiki page is located at:

List technical documents are available at:
                http://www.si-list.org