[SI-LIST] Re: why do I need mixed mode S parameters?

  • From: Peter.Pupalaikis@xxxxxxxxxx
  • To: axel stein <stein_axel@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 22 Dec 2010 16:01:56 -0500

Hi Axel:

I get S31-S41-S32+S42.

The reason that this is different from Jeff's result is the port numbering
(which is why doing this with formulas really stinks).

Jeff's result seems to be for ports numbered:

1             2
3             4

My formula is for ports numbered

1             3
2             4

(where the left two numbers are the +/- singled ended ports that form mixed
mode port 1 and the
right two numbers are the +/- single ended ports that form mixed mode port
2).

You will need to verify your port numbering in order to get the correct
results.

Pete

|------------>
| From:      |
|------------>

>----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
  |axel stein <stein_axel@xxxxxxxxx>
                                                           |

>----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
|------------>
| To:        |
|------------>

>----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
  |si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
                                                           |

>----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
|------------>
| Cc:        |
|------------>

>----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
  |stein_axel@xxxxxxxxx
                                                           |

>----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
|------------>
| Date:      |
|------------>

>----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
  |12/22/2010 03:50 PM
                                                           |

>----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
|------------>
| Subject:   |
|------------>

>----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
  |[SI-LIST] Re: why do I need mixed mode S parameters?
                                                           |

>----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
|------------>
| Sent by:   |
|------------>

>----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
  |si-list-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
                                                           |

>----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|

Hi SI-Gurus,Legal Disclaimer: The information contained in this message may
be
privileged and confidential. It is intended to be read only by the
individual or
entity to whom it is addressed or by their designee. If the reader of this
message is not the intended recipient, you are on notice that any
distribution
of this message, in any form, is strictly prohibited. If you have received
this
message in error, please immediately notify the sender and delete or
destroy any
copy of this message

I have tried to use the formula from below to convert 4-port S-parameters
to a
SDD21 value. Unfortunately, the results was not even close to what my VNA
would
give me when directly displaying SDD21.

What I did was:
-measured the 4-port S-parameters --> results are available in dB-angle
format.
-I have converted the values first to linear-angle and then to linear_real
-
linear-imaginary format.
-I have added / subracted the linear_real values according to the formula
below.
-I have added / subtracted the linear_imaginary values according to the
formula
below.
-I converted the linear_real & linear_imaginary portions of the calculated
SDD21
back to linear-angle and finally dB-angle format.

My expectating would have been, that the SDD21 values that I have
calculated
this way would be reasonably similar to the directly measured SDD21,
however
these two are showing significant differences.

What have I missed here?

Thanks for your kind help,
axel

___________________

Loyer, Jeff wrote:

>The formula that I know of is:
>SDD21 = 1/2 (S21 - S41 - S23 + S43)
>
>For the reciprocal, symmetric system, S21 = S43, and S41 = S23. My
>algebra says that, for this system, SDD21 = S21 - S41.  I didn't check
>your Maxim reference; please double-check it and let me know if it still
>disagrees with the formula.
>
>Also, a quick Google search of "Pozar book" would've found the
>information about that book - my thanks to Jeff of Agilent for providing
>that info.
>
>Not to beat you up, but please invest a few ergs before responding
>(especially to the entire list) - I invest a bit of time in my responses
>(to keep from asking the obvious, mis-stating information, and/or
>embarrassing my employer), and I appreciate others doing the same.
>
>Aside from that, I welcome folks letting me know if I've goofed and/or
>asking for clarification.
>
>Jeff Loyer

List technical documents are available at:
                http://www.si-list.net